Bristol Wireless distro reaches 0.9.4
Since its inception as a community wireless networking project, Bristol Wireless’ range of activities has expanded at a rapid rate. One of the newer lines of work – although the idea was first mooted a few years ago – is the development of our own Bristol Wireless Debian-based Linux distribution. Ben Green has today announced that our BW distro has now reached version 0.9.4.
Since the last announcement, the following changes have been implemented for this release:
- the Bristol Wireless desktop background has been added as default for all users (regardless of a whether this is a new account or not);
- printer GUI has been restored;
- users-admin icon added to SLAB menu;
- recoll search icon added to SLAB menu and set up sudo access;
- bw_setup now changes the sources.list to an internet facing one by default;
- ‘less’ has been added as a default package;
Ben adds that a new user must be created to make use of the new SLAB additions.
There are still a couple of items on Ben’s to-do list. At the moment these are:
- adding support for madwifi;
- adding a line to firefox plugins for divx to use the Mplayer plugin.
In a subsequent mail, Ben reports that we’re almost on the verge of having a version 1.0 ready for distribution. If anyone has professional CD printing facilities we can use for this forthcoming milestone, please get in touch.