Wikipedia training coming to Oldham
A day’s training in editing and using Wikipedia in Oldham (reputed home of the country’s best black puddings. Ed.) has been announced by Wikimedia UK, the charity supporting the work of the US-based Wikimedia Foundation.
The training day will be held on Saturday, 27th April from 10:00am to 4:00pm at Oldham Library, Greaves Street, Oldham, OL1 1AL (map). Attendance is free of charge.
The aim of the day is to increase the number of articles on Oldham, as well nearby Failsworth, Royton, and Saddleworth, plus improving the quality of existing Oldham-related articles.
The course will be run by experienced Wikipedians who’ll provide all the necessary instruction to get attendees editing and using Wikipedia in no time. The workshop agenda has not been finalised yet, but will follow the outline below:
- Basics of editing;
- User space: user page; talk page; sandbox; edit summaries;
- Practical work – 1-on-1 and small group work;
- Plenary discussion – creating and editing articles;
- Sources, referencing, WP:V;
- Practical work – 1-on-1 and small group work (improving and creating Oldham-related articles);
- Plenary discussion – What’s next; Help!
The library only has 8 computers available, so attendees will need to bring laptops if possible.
Anyone interested can register for the event via Eventbrite, whilst any queries should be addressed to Daria Cybulska on daria.cybulska (at) wikimedia.org.uk or 0207 065 0994.